Most people think,
Great god will come from the skies,
Take away everything
And make everybody feel high.
But if you know what life is worth,
You will look for yours on earth:
And now you see the light,
You stand up for your rights. jah!
– Robert Nesta Marley
Yezzir! This piece I’m working on currently is another renaissance based transcription of Giovanni Tiepolo; ‘The Triumph of Zephyr and Flora’.
I got started with a rough sketch on paper and with the aid of Photoshop and mi graphics tablet, I’ll see its way to completion.
What does this H.G know about counter culture?! My suggestion to all of ye out there; Watch ‘Easy Rider’ and find out what you know about counter culture! Seriously though, for all of you forward thinkers and “pseudo intellectuals” out there; I would highly recommend this one.
I found this particular piece of dialogue fairly inspiring at the beginning of my journey. A conversation between George (Jack Nicholson) as an alcoholic lawyer from the South (U.S.A) and Billy (the late Dennis Hopper) who plays an acid dropping, reefer smoking, bike riding hippie from out West; talking about the system and non-conformity.
- George: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can’t understand what’s gone wrong with it.
- Billy: Huh. Man, everybody got chicken, that’s what happened, man. Hey, we can’t even get into like, uh, second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel. You dig? They think we’re gonna cut their throat or something, man. They’re scared, man.
- George: Oh, they’re not scared of you. They’re scared of what you represent to ’em.
- Billy: Hey man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody needs a haircut.
- George: Oh no. What you represent to them is freedom.
- Billy: What the hell’s wrong with freedom, man? That’s what it’s all about.
- George: Oh yeah, that’s right, that’s what it’s all about, all right. But talkin’ about it and bein’ it – that’s two different things. I mean, it’s real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. ‘Course, don’t ever tell anybody that they’re not free ’cause then they’re gonna get real busy killin’ and maimin’ to prove to you that they are. Oh yeah, they’re gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it’s gonna scare ’em.
- Billy: Mmmm, well, that don’t make ’em runnin’ scared.
- George: No, it makes ’em dangerous. Nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik – Swamp
Ignorance is indeed dangerous..